Tuesday 18 March 2008

Single: Viking Moses! - Swollen And Small: The Songs Of Neutral Milk Hotel (Fire Records)

Presumably in the absence of obtaining a home address for Jeff Magnum for which to send him handwritten love letters, Brendon Massei a.k.a. Viking Moses! decided that the best course of action would be to record an EP of Neutral Milk Hotel covers and inflict it on the world. It's not the most horrible thing I've ever heard, but it's most definitely the indie-est. In fact, when I raised my hand towards my face to stifle a yawn during 'Holland, 1945', the CD case flinched and scuttled to the corner of my desk, cowering.

When I returned from the toilet later on, I found it checking out Brooklyn Vegan for news on the new Bright Eyes album. I kept it busy by putting Cat Power's Speaking For Trees DVD on, before sneaking up on it and hurtling it out of the window under the wheels of a passing car. The coast now clear, I stuck Maggot Brain by Funkadelic on, safe in the knowledge that I was in possession of a pair of testicles.

http://www.highvoltage.org.uk/displaydemoreview.asp?num=2460&band=1503

No comments: